Sunday, November 16, 2008

Motherly Advice

While my company experienced it's fourth round of layoffs and restructuring on Friday, I did what most people would do. I went to my parent for wisdom and advice. My dad has been very fortunate to work for the state government in a division that has not experienced layoffs and still enjoys his work. I wonder how many people right now can really say that they have stability and really enjoy their job still. My mom works at a Ross stores near their home in Sacramento and she mainly does this just to have something to do. I call my parents every Sunday to catch up with them.

I catch my dad up to the fourth restructuring. He isn't surprised, we've gone through it three other times. And not to mention, he is educated, watches the news and reads the newspaper (not so much internet, he's old fashioned.) My dad's advice, is to keep chipping away, and if I have a job, just do what I can to hang on to it. "It's going to get worst before it get's any better," is his exact words.

I catch my mom up to the fourth restructuring. She isn't surprised either. In the past, her advise has been to keep just doing my best and good things will come to me. However, this time she our conversation is different:

"I know you don't do this very often, but I think you should pray," she says.
"OK mom, we've gone through this like eighteen times, I'm not religious, and I'm not sure people being laid off are going to turn me to the church again," I say.
"No," she says, "On your way to work every day I think you should just say a few words to God, no one will hear you. Ask God to help you meet a man that can help guide you. Just a few words."
"uh, is that somewhere in the Old Testament?" I say. My mom never really got my sarcasm.
"You know, just a few words to God. Ask Him, to help you meet a man to love you and help you through this time."

I end the call with a "I'll consider that." My mom has given me some "interesting" (to say the least) advice over the almost 30 years that I have been her daughter. So in honor of my mom's and her colorful advice, maybe I will ask God to give me the strength to be more attractive to men.

Maybe I'll just stick to my dad's advice. I sounds less crazy.

-Kathy

No comments: